Post-Op Instructions for Uvuloplatoplasty (UPP) and Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty (UPPP)
- Diet: Drink plenty of liquids, including water, fruit juice (apple and grape), tea, jello, broth, milk and ice cream. Avoid hot liquids and acidic juices. Gradually add soft foods as desired. When tolerating well, you may resume full diet, but avoiding chips, nuts, popcorn, crackers and any other abrasive foods.
- Medications: Take any medications prescribed by Dr. Simpson as directed. These may include antibiotics, steroids and/or pain medications. Pain medications may make you drowsy and may cause nausea. Try taking it with a small amount of food. You may use an over the counter topical anesthetic spray to help with throat discomfort.
- General Instructions: Avoid coughing and throat clearing. Avoid Aspirin products for 1-2 days after surgery; it may increase the possibility of bleeding. A white or gray coating will appear at the surgical site. This is normal and will disappear in 1-2 weeks. It is not an infection!!
- Bleeding: Infrequently, some bleeding may occur. If this happens, it usually stops spontaneously. Sip on ice water or other cold liquids. If significant bleeding continues, notify Dr. Simpson’s office.
- Follow-Up: The hospital should schedule you a follow-up appointment to see Dr. Simpson in 2 weeks. If they do not do this, please call our office @ (706) 546-0144 to schedule this appointment.